Share this
  • Admissions and Transfer FAQs

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Below you will find answers and information to some of the most frequently asked questions about admission and transfer policies and procedures, as well as some best practices.

  • The following is an overview of general policy and recommended preparation that you may find helpful.

    A student planning to attend Edison State Community College should follow the college preparatory curriculum in high school as recommended by the Ohio Board of Regents and the Ohio Board of Education. This curriculum includes four units of English, three units of Mathematics, three units of Science, three units of Social Studies, two units of Foreign Language and one unit of Fine Arts. Students who have not completed the recommended course work in high school may complete it at Edison State, if needed. Students must provide an official high school or GED transcript upon admission.

    Early Admission
    The privilege of early admission may be granted to high school students who have demonstrated appropriate ability or special talent. Students must be recommended in writing by a high school official, and must satisfy any course prerequisites including placement assessment. These students can enroll for a maximum of nine (9) credit hours of course work in any academic semester and a maximum of six (6) credit hours in a summer session. Use the contact form on the web to obtain additional information.

    College Credit Plus (CCP)
    Eligible high school students who elect to participate in the College Credit Plus program and who meet the admissions criteria as outlined by the Ohio Board of Education, the Ohio Board of Regents and Edison State Community College may attend Edison State. Students will be required to submit an application for admission to the program and a high school transcript. Students may participate in a skills assessment and students accepted into the program must attend a required orientation. Please visit the College Credit Plus page for more information.

    Transfer Students
    An applicant who has attended any other college(s) must have official grade transcripts (certified and mailed by the issuing school directly to Edison State Community College) from each college attended sent to the Enrollment Services Office immediately upon making application. It is the student's responsibility to have transcripts sent to Edison State. Please visit the Transfer Students page for more information.

    Transient Students
    Transient students who regularly attend another college are welcome to apply for admission and enroll at Edison State for additional credits. The home college should be consulted on course selections to ensure the courses satisfy program requirements. Transient students must submit a completed application form and documentation for course prerequisites. Unofficial transcripts will suffice.
    NOTE  Financial aid is not available for non-degree or non-certificate students.

    International Students
    Edison State is authorized by the federal government to enroll F-1 students. Students seeking this immigration status must meet the admission requirements of other Edison State students. To be issued an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant students) students will also be required to provide proof of proficiency with the English language (500 on TOEFL, for example) and proof of sufficient funding to meet all expenses for the duration of their enrollment at Edison State. Aliens in the United States with a visa category other than F-1 (and their dependents) may enroll at Edison State (unless their visa category specifically prohibits study). These students are not subject to the restrictions listed for students seeking the F-1 category; they may pay non-resident fees. Please visit the International Students page for more information.

    The following outlines Edison State Community College's general admission policies.

    MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS  Students are conditionally admitted until all of the following requirements are met:

    1.  Completed online application form or paper application form.

    2.  Official high school transcripts or GED score reports, certified and mailed by the issuing school directly to Edison State Community College. (Ohio GED Request Form, Out-of-State GED Request Form)

    3.  Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended (certified and mailed by the issuing school directly to Edison State Community College).

    4.  American College Test (ACT) or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) results if taken previously.

    5.  ACCUPLACER assessment scores in English, reading and math, except for those candidates who have completed at least 15 semester hours of credit at other accredited institutions of higher education (including math and English courses) or who have qualifying scores on the ACT or SAT. See additional information here.

    NOTE  Financial aid requirements differ from general admission requirements. See additional information here.
    NOTE  Students whose placement levels indicate they are not prepared for college level work must satisfactorily complete the prescribed developmental courses prior to gaining regular admittance status. Students may receive counseling regarding alternative educational or training options.

    Males 18 through 26 are required by state law to file a statement of selective service status with the College. This statement can be completed during the admission process or registration.

    Special Student Status
    Special student status admission will be granted to any student who is not attending high school and who wishes to register for technical, general education or personal interest classes. These students may register for up to five hours an academic term, or a total of 12 academic credits. After a special status student has completed 12 credit hours, he/she must complete the requirements for regular admission to Edison State Community College.

    Short Term Technical Certificates
    Students pursuing Short Term Technical Certificate options may need to satisfy course prerequisites which may include placement testing.
    NOTE  Financial aid is not available for Short Term Technical Certificate programs, but scholarship assistance may be available.

    ACCUPLACER Assessment
    Assessment determines the level of academic readiness needed for a student to be successful in college and is crucial to the proper advising of students in course selection. The ACCUPLACER assessment scores are used to advise and register students in classes suited to their academic achievement and skill level in an effort to help ensure their academic success. The assessment will include an evaluation of reading, language usage and mathematical skills. Placement assessment for computer information technology and keyboarding may also be required. See additional information here.

    Placement assessments are effective for two years. Students who have not taken Math or English within two years of their placement assessment should reassess.

    Exceptions to the required assessment might include:

    1. A student who has completed an associate degree or higher
    2. A transient student in good academic standing
    3. A student with qualifying ACT scores
    4. A non-degree seeking senior citizen
    5. A student registering for audit
    6. A cross-registration student

    Audit Students
    Applicants enrolling in courses for audit (without credit) must submit a completed application form. Auditing students receive neither grades nor credits for courses. They are not required to submit assignments or take examinations. Fees for auditing a course are the same as those for enrolling for credit. Financial aid is not available for auditing. Students wishing to audit online courses must meet readiness requirements for online classes.

    Edison State Community College follows the Ohio Board of Regents Rule 3333-1-10 for determining a student's residency status. Students may obtain a copy of this rule from the Registrar's Office. Specific exceptions and circumstances may require a review of each student's residency classification on an individual basis.

    You absolutely can! We call it the "2 + 2 University Transfer" program.

    Start at Edison State and transfer your coursework for another degree. Edison State's small class sizes and affordable tuition make it easy to launch your bachelor's degree close to home.

    Edison State's "2 + 2 University Transfer" degrees are your gateway to over 250 bachelor's degrees at Ohio's public and private universities, as well as to colleges across the United States.

    • The Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree parallels the first two years of a bachelor of arts degree and is ideal for students pursuing majors in the social sciences, humanities and arts. 
    • The Associate of Science (A.S.) degree parallels the first two years of a bachelor of science degree and is ideal for students pursuing majors in science, technology engineering, mathematics and business. 

    If you plan to transfer we encourage you to

    1. Identify your transfer major and transfer school as soon as possible. 
    2. Consult with both Edison State and transfer university advisors. 
    3. Carefully follow the Transfer Module established by the Ohio Board of Regents.

    The Edison State staff works closely with four-year institutions to keep programs up-to-date and transferable. Edison State's articulation agreements with area colleges and universities list the courses that you can take at Edison State to prepare for popular majors at nearby schools.

    Some of the universities that recent Edison State graduates have transferred to include Bluffton, Bowling Green, Capital, University of Cincinnati, University of Dayton, Franklin, Ohio Northern, Ohio State, University of Toledo, Urbana, Wittenberg, Wright State and Xavier.

    We use a variety of tools to ensure and maximize the transferability of your college credit to meet degree requirements elsewhere!

    Edison State's academic advisors utilize a variety of transferability tools including:

    Ohio Higher Ed
    Interested in going to college in Ohio? The University Systems of Ohio has created a site especially for you. The goal is to help connect future college students with information on how to plan, apply, and pay for your education at Ohio's public universities, community colleges, and adult career centers.

    Transfer Module  
    By completing Edison State's Transfer Module, students can satisfy the general education requirements at other Ohio colleges and universities. The Transfer Module contains 36-40 semester hours of courses in the fields of English, mathematics, arts/humanities, social and behavioral sciences,  and natural and physical sciences.

    Articulation Agreements  
    Edison State has articulation agreements with area colleges and universities which list courses that you can take at Edison State to prepare for popular majors at nearby schools, including Wright State University, Sinclair Community College and many others. See the articulation agreements list for information on  transferring credits to and from Edison State. Contact an advisor for more detailed information.

    Transferology details course equivalencies between colleges and universities in Ohio by school and by course. It enables you to find out what credits will transfer to where and how those credits apply to a program of study.

    Transfer Assurance Guides (TAGS)
    Developed by the Ohio Board of Regents and created by The University Systems of Ohio, the Transfer Assurance Guides provide information on general and specific education coursework that students can complete and transfer. See Edison State Transfer Assurance Guide approved courses here.

    Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE)
    The Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education provides several resources for new and transfer students including:

    • Degree finder for consortium school Lists of transfer contact personnel 
    • Cross registration procedures

    Our university partners

    Edison State Community College has entered into partnerships with several universities to offer degree completion programs on the Edison State campuses and online. These partnerships are designed for adult students who have completed technical A.A.S., A.A.B., or A.T.S. degrees and wish to continue their education beyond the associate degree.

    Often times, these programs are accelerated or online. These programs apply more of the technical credits to a bachelor's degree than a traditional transfer program. However, A.A./A.S. degree students are also eligible for admissions to these programs. In many cases, the student may take additional coursework at Edison State before or during the time they are enrolled in the university.

    Bachelor's Degree Programs

    College | Contact Major Location
    Bluffton University
    Sara Gresse
     Bachelor of Arts 
    Organizational Management
     Edison State Community College | Piqua

    Bluffton University
    Bowling Green State University
    Sherri Orwick Ogden
     Bachelor of Science 
    Advanced Technological Education

    Franklin University
    Jenny Garringer
    Community College 
    Regional Manager
    Schedule an Appointment
    myTransferCredit Tool
    Request Information
    Apply Now

     Bachelor's Degrees 
    Applied Management
    Business Administration
    Business Forensics
    Computer Science
    Computer Justice Administration
    Emergency Management & Homeland Security
    Energy Management
    Exercise Science 
    Financial Management
    Financial Planning
    Forensic Accounting
    Health Information Management
    Health Sciences
    Healthcare Management
    Human Resources Management
    Nursing (RN to BSN)
    Information Systems
    Information Technology
    Interactive Media Design
    Logistics Management
    Management & Leadership
    Operations & Supply Chain Management
    Public Administration
    Public Relations
    Public Safety Management & Leadership
    Social Sciences
    Sport Management
    Web Development
    Ohio University
    Wanda Gandy
     Bachelor of Criminal Justice
    Bachelor of Science Applied Management
    Bachelor of Science
    Nursing (RN to BSN)
    Bachelor of Technical & Applied Studies
    Urbana University
    Maureen Cooper
     Bachelor of Science Degrees
    Business Management
    Criminal Justice
    Nursing (RN to BSN)
    Health Care Administration
     Edison State Community College | Piqua

    Wright State University | Lake Campus
    Dr. Greg Homan 
    Organizational Leadership 
    Program Coordinator and Advisor
    800.237.1477, Ext. 8344 (Ohio only)
     Bachelor's Degree 
    Organizational Leadership

    Wright State University | Lake Campus

    Wright State University | Main Campus

    Miami University
    Tom Looker
    937.778.8600 Ext. 7943
     Bachelor of Science Degrees
    Electronics Engineering Technology
    Manufacturing Engineering Technology
    Mechanical Engineering Technology

    Edison State Community College | Piqua

    Miami University

    Western Governors University

    More information for faculty 
    and staff can be found here.

     Bachelor Degrees
    Interdisciplinary Studies (K-8)
    Early Childhood Education
    Mathematics (5-9 or 5-12)
    Science (5-9)
    Science (Chemistry, 5-12)
    Science (Physics, 5-12)
    Science (Biological Sciences, 5-12)
    Science (Geosciences, 5-12)
    Special Education (K-12)
    Nursing (RN to BSN)
    Health Informatics
    Nursing (Prelicensure) (select areas only)
    Business Management
    Business-Human Resource Management
    Business-Information Technology Management
    Marketing Management
    Sales and Sales Management
    Information Technology
    Information Technology-Network Administration
    Information Technology-Network Design and Management
    Information Technology-Security
    Information Technology-Software


    Master's Degree Programs

    College | Contact Major Location
    Bluffton University
    Sara Gresse
     Master of Arts 
    Business Administration
    Organizational Management
     Edison State Community College | Piqua

    Franklin University
    Request Information
    Apply Now
     Master's Degrees
    Business Administration
    Business Analytics
    Business Psychology
    Criminal Justice Administration
    Computer Science
    Data Analytics
    Health Informatics
    Healthcare Administration
    Human Resources Management
    Information Technology
    Instructional Design & Learning Technology
    Marketing & Communication
    Public Administration
    RN to MSN

    IMPORTANT  For more information on these programs, please contact the college representative listed. Costs are at the rate of the degree-granting school.

    The Wright State University PASS Partnership Program formalizes the link between the Wright State University Dayton and Lake Campuses and the Edison State Community College Piqua and Darke County Campuses to provide seamless student movement between the two institutions. The objective is to facilitate student entry or reentry into a bachelor's degree program at Wright State University. Click the button below for more information.

    WSU PASS Partnership

    Follow the process below to transfer your credits to Edison State for evaluation.

    To receive credit for courses taken at other colleges or universities, you must have your official transcript(s) from any previous institution(s) sent directly to the Office of Registration and Records at Edison State Community College. Most institutions charge a small fee to forward your official transcripts. Transcripts should be mailed to: 

    Registration and Records
    Edison State Community College
    1973 Edison Drive 
    Piqua, OH 45356

    Once received, your transcript(s) will be evaluated and a Transfer Credit Evaluation report will be sent to you via email if you have an Edison State email account. You will receive your transfer credit evaluation report via U.S. postal mail if you do not have an Edison State account. The transfer credit evaluation report will detail all credits that will transfer to Edison State Community College.

    The following outlines Edison State's policy for the acceptance of transfer credits. 

    Generally, Edison State will accept credits earned from other regionally accredited institutions as follows:

    • A grade of "C" or higher must have been received. Grades of pass or credit also will be accepted. Certain coursework with a grade of "D" may also transfer.
    • Credit will not be granted for courses that are defined as pre-college level by the institution where they were earned. Such courses will be noted for academic advising purposes and will show transferred hours as "0."
    • You may receive general elective credit when a course does not have a direct equivalent at Edison State.

    Edison State may accept credit from an institution that is not regionally accredited as outlined below:

    • The acceptance of work from a non-regionally accredited institution applies only to applied degree programs which include AAB, AAS and ATS degrees.
    • Student petitions for review of this course work will be on an individual basis, allowing for consideration of each student's knowledge base, recent use of course knowledge in the work place and supporting course work from educational experience. For more information on this process, click here.

    To research credit transfer and course equivalencies, visit the Transferology website.
    For information on how coursework may transfer, please refer to the Ohio Board of Regents Transfer Policy, Section F, Course Applicability System.

    Yes, it is possible to do this. Please read the information below.

    Non-U.S. Institutions   If you would like to transfer credits to Edison State from an institution of higher education located outside of the United States, you will need to have your coursework evaluated by an approved agency such as World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators.

    Review the Credit for Prior Learning information below for specifics regarding how to have your credit posted for credit earned by exam or other means such as Advanced Placement exams, proficiency exams, CLEP, DSST, Tech Prep or professional certifications, etc. 

    Yes, there are many ways to receive college credit. The following information outlines the conditions by which you can earn college credit for non-collegiate learning.

    You may have an opportunity to earn college credit for non-collegiate learning that you have garnered prior to enrolling at Edison State Community College. Make arrangements to apply for prior learning credit as soon as possible after admission.

    You may receive credit for an Edison State Community College course by using one of the methods listed below to demonstrate successful completion of appropriate prior academic and or/work experience. Credit awards must be equivalent to a particular course. Elective credit is not awarded for prior learning. Up to 30 credit hours may be earned via prior learning.

    Students should be aware that prior learning credit awarded by Edison State Community College may not be applicable to degrees at other colleges or universities. A student who intends to transfer to another college or university should consult with a transfer advisor at that institution concerning the transferability of Edison State prior-learning credit.

    The following are methods by which prior learning credit may be awarded.

    Tech Prep Agreements   College Tech Prep is a program of study that begins in a student's junior year of high school or career center and continues at Edison State Community College. College Tech Prep allows students to earn credits toward their college degree while they are attending high school. Click here for more Tech Prep Agreement information.

    Military Experience and Training   Edison State may award credits to veterans for military training and experience. To be considered for credit, please order a copy of your Army/AARTS transcript, or Sailor/Marine/ARTS transcript or Air Force/CCAF transcript, and provide a copy of your DD214 to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records office. Credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as military credit. There is no charge for the posting of military credit.

    Advanced Placement (AP)   Edison State awards credit for appropriate scores (generally 3 or higher) on nationally-recognized Advanced Placement (AP) exams. To receive credit for Advanced Placement exams, submit your scores to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office for evaluation. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam. There is no charge for the posting of Advanced Placement credit.

    Edison State Proficiency Exams   You may receive credit for some Edison State Community College courses by way of an internal proficiency or 'test out' procedure. Students register for a proficiency exam, pay the appropriate fee and are contacted by the proctor to arrange an appointment for the exam. Once a proficiency exam is successfully completed and passed, appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam. There is no refund for failed exams. For additional information about test out options, contact an advisor.

    • You may not earn credit by exam for a course you have already completed at Edison State. A course is defined as 'completed' if you received a grade of A, B, C, D, F, S, U, IP or W.
    • If you are enrolled in a course and you would like to 'test out,' you must drop the course before you can take the test. The course must be dropped within the drop period. You will be required to pay the appropriate fee before attempting to 'test out' of a course. 
    • If you do not pass the exam, you may not retake the exam for a period of one year.

    College Level Examination Program (CLEP)   Edison State awards credit for appropriate scores on the nationally-recognized CLEP exam. The College Board website provides study and review resources for CLEP exams. You are encouraged to visit this site for study tips, test samples and additional resources. To receive credit for CLEP, submit your scores to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as a credit by exam. There is no charge for the posting of credit by exam. To schedule a CLEP exam, email Meghan Cotterman or phone 937.778.7950.

    DSST Subject Standardized Tests   Edison State will award credit for DSST exams. To receive credit, submit your DSST transcript to Edison State Community College, Registration and Records Office for evaluation. Appropriate credit will be awarded and will appear on your transcript as credit by exam.

    Professional Exams   You may be eligible for credit for the successful completion of nationally-recognized professional exams that support the mastery of skills or competencies related to your Edison State degree or certificate requirements. Students may be eligible to receive credit for an Edison State course or group of courses related to the skills or competencies tested on the exam. Credit awards are based on the American Council of Education recommendations. An advisor can recommend course equivalencies for professional exams.

    Portfolio Evaluation  You may be eligible for credit for the demonstrated mastery of skills or competencies though work experience. Credits may be awarded if learning corresponds directly to a course currently offered at Edison State. Specific documentation and verification of knowledge and applicability to the equivalent course(s) is required. This procedure measures your achievement of specific course objectives as evaluated by subject experts. You should discuss this program with an advisor and meet informally with a faculty member for each course, to clarify questions about portfolio components, requirements and procedures. For more information and to begin the Portfolio process click here.

    We know that being a student is not an easy job! Below are a few tips that might make your life a little bit easier—and a whole lot more successful.

    • Attend New Student Orientation at the beginning of the semester.
    • The GEN 101S | First Year Experience course provides you with excellent resources needed to be a successful student. It is likely that this class will be part of your first semester at Edison State.
    • Be sure to attend all classes and be on time. 
    • To reduce distractions, sit near the front of the class.
    • Keep a copy of the syllabus for each class so that you will know what is is expected and when.
    • Be a good listener. Focus and concentrate on the main points.
    • Take good notes in class and review your notes within 24 hours. Then, review your notes periodically to help you retain information. Index cards containing key information are also a helpful way to review.
    • Study! To be a successful college student, study at least two hours per week for every hour that you spend in class. This is a minimum. 
    • Locate an ideal study space and schedule your study time when you are at your best.
    • Utilize a daily planner to keep track of important dates and projects.
    • Apply time management strategies, including goal-setting and prioritization of schoolwork along with your other responsibilities.
    • Avoid studying for extended periods of time. Instead, study in short intervals with a break in between. For example, study for 30 minutes, take a 3-minute break, come back and review, then repeat the process.
    • Get to know the other students in your classes. They can provide support and can be great study partners.
    • Participate in class and ask questions of your instructor whenever necessary. Meet with your instructor during office hours for additional support and guidance.
    • See your faculty advisor every semester to register for classes.
    • Utilize the Library and Tutoring Center for study help and free tutoring services.
    • Being a full-time student is a 40-hour per week job, and like many full-time employees, you probably will not finish the job in 40 hours.
    • In addition to your class and study time, be sure to schedule some time for physical activity. This will help you to focus on your studies. A fitness center and locker rooms are available on campus.